Main Menu

Veteran's Day

Home FAQ


  • If you are thinking about applying to the U or you were just accepted and are not sure what to do next, check out our Getting Started page. If you still have questions about the process, please contact us by visiting the Veterans Support Center in Room 418 on the fourth floor of the Union, email us at, or call us at 801-587-7722.

  • Information regarding various education benefits can be found on our Financial Aid or by visiting

  • Veterans, service members, and family members may be eligible for in-state tuition if they are:

    • Assigned to active duty in Utah, including the Utah National Guard and active reserves
    • Immediate family member or a service member currently assigned to active duty in Utah
    • Veteran who did not receive a dishonorable discharge
    • Immediate family member of a veteran claimed as a dependent
    • Eligible person entitled to benefits under the Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill®
    • Utah resident away on active military duty taking only online classes at the University of Utah (including cases where the student is a dependent family member)

    Visit the Admissions Office Residency for more detailed information and to apply for a residency reclassification.

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill® covers:

    • Tuition and Fees
    • Housing
    • Books and Supplies

    The amount that you receive is based on your entitlement percentage. If you are not sure about what percentage you are entitled to or are not sure how many months of the benefit you have remaining, view your Statement of Benefits

    The GI Bill® can also cover the cost of certain tests you need to take to become a licensed or certified professional – or to apply for college or a training course. To see which tests are covered, visit Test Fees

  • Individuals eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve, or DEA may be eligible to pursue training in preparatory courses, or training courses for tests required or used for admission to an institution of higher learning or graduate school. There is no limit to the number of preparatory courses you can take; however, you must have remaining entitlement and your delimiting date must not have passed. Your remaining months will be reduced based on your training time.

  • Yes! The University of Utah will grant you 4 credits towards your degree to meet the minimum 122 credits required to graduate with an undergraduate degree. This will count as a general 4 credits and will not fulfill or replace any required course that you need to take. To request these credits, complete a Military Service Credit Request and submit with a copy of your DD-214 or LES statement showing at least 181 days of active duty time to Veteran Services in the VSC.

  • Tuition Assistance (TA) can be used with the Post-9/11 and Montgomery GI Bill®. If you are receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, our Certifying Officials will reduce the cost of tuition reported to the VA by the amount you receive through TA. For questions regarding TA, contact your commands Education Services Officer (ESO).

  • Many students have documented challenges that qualify for reasonable academic accommodations that help them to participate on an equal basis with students who do not have such challenges. For information about how to request accommodations, contact the Center for Disability & Access. If you need help with requesting accommodations or being evaluated for an accommodation, our Peer Mentors are able to help you get the ball rolling.
    Schedule an Appointment
  • The Military Students at the U (MSU) is our chapter of the Student Veterans of America. You can find more information about the group at their website, MSU (site under construction)

  • If you are having an emergency or are in crisis, call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room. The Veteran’s Crisis Line is also available 24/7 and is completely confidential. They can be reached by dialing 988 and pressing option 1.

    There are many resources available on and off campus to support veterans with PTSD and other mental health concerns, including:

  • The Veteran Support Center’s VetSuccess on Campus Counselor can answer a lot of questions for you; however, there might still be questions which need to be answered. You can contact the VA at:

    • VetSuccess on Campus Counselor, Jason Carter: 801-587-5703 or
    • VA Benefits: 800-827-1000
    • VA Health Care: 877-222-VETS (877-222-8387)
    • VA Mental Health: 801-582-1565
    • GI Bill®: 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551)
    • Or you can submit a question online through Ask VA
  • Yes! The VSC has partnered with several campus groups including U Alumni and the Union to offer our students scholarships during both the fall and spring semesters. Our scholarships are all cash-based, so they will not affect your other benefits or other scholarships that you might receive. We post all of our scholarships on the University’s Scholarship Management Site, Academic Works. This site also list many other scholarships offered by various departments and can be filtered to show only scholarships applicable to you.