Why the U?
The University of Utah is an academic powerhouse, offering more than 200 majors, minors, and certificates. The U was named on of the top 10 Best Colleges for Veterans Nationwide by College Factual in 2021 and one of the top 3 Military Friendly Colleges in Utah by Education Connection in 2019.
The U has a dedicated Veterans Support Center that is committed to assisting you succeed. The VSC is a one-stop shop for services, support, advocacy, and camaraderie. Some of the services offered through the VSC include:
- GI Bill/VA educational program services
- VA counseling and benefits advising
- Career coaching
- Peer mentoring
- Free SWAG, coffee, and refreshments
- Student computers with CAC readers and free printing
- Dedicated lounge and study area
- Scholarships and financial aid assistance
- Work-Study opportunities
- Student Veteran of the Year recognition
- And many other military-family only services and events
Need more reasons?
- Most military connected students qualify for in-state tuition as soon as they start.
- Family members using VA educational benefits and student veterans receive priority registration after orientation.
- The state of Utah offers the Tuition Gap program, which helps pay tuition for qualifying veterans who have established Utah residency, have no VA educational benefits available, and have one year or less before earning their first bachelor’s degree.
- The U is literally across the street from a regional VA office and one of the top VA hospitals.
Around the U
- Entertainment and cultural events ranging from professional sports, museums, festivals, fine dining, and concerts to night life, stand-up comedy, shopping, and brew pubs
- Renowned outdoor recreation including five national parks, five national monuments, 43 state parks, and 23M acres of public land offering opportunities for hiking, skiing, climbing, rafting, fishing, and more.