Main Menu

Veteran's Day

Home VA Education Benefits and Financial Aid

VA Education Benefits and Financial Aid

College is expensive. There is no easy way to say it, but there are ways to help. Financial Aid is available for nearly every student to ease the burden of your education. From VA Benefits to scholarships, we are here to help you. 

  • Many of our students qualify for in-state tuition and don’t realize it. We can help you apply to be reclassified as a resident student and save. 
  • The Veterans Support Center has partnered with several groups on campus and in the community to be able to offer you several scholarships for both the fall and spring semesters. Some of our partners include the U Alumni Association, the University Union, and the Larry H. and Gail Miller Foundation, just to name a few. 
  • Not quite sure what you are eligible for with your VA Education Benefits. Come talk with our team and we can make sure you are taking advantage of everything you have earned. 
  • Do you just need a little help to better manage your finances? We have a specialized military financial counsellor in the U’s Financial Wellness Center to help you sort things out and answer any questions you may have. 

These are just a few of the things we can do to help and would love to share all of our programs with you. 

Academic Works

Academic Works is the University of Utah’s scholarship management site. Various colleges, departments, and offices throughout the U offer scholarships to help students be able to afford school. This site allows you to filter and search through scholarships that are applicable to you and to easily submit applications directly from the scholarship listing.

Apply Now

VA Education Benefits

VA education benefits help Veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with needs like paying college tuition, finding the right school or training program, and getting career counseling. Learn how to apply for and manage the education and training benefits you’ve earned.

  • If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, VR&E can help. Previously called VocRehab, this program helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. The “Employment through Long-Term Services” can help you get the education or training you need to find work in a different field that better suits your current abilities and interests.

    Our VetSuccess On Campus Counselor is Jason Carter

    More Information

  • Since 1944, different versions of the GI Bill® have helped qualifying veterans and their family get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. With the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, you may be eligible for 36 months of benefits, including:

    • Tuition and Fees – If you qualify for the maximum benefit, the VA will cover the full cost of in-state, public school’s tuition and fees.
    • Money for housing – The VA will base your monthly housing allowance on your eligibility percentage, how many and what credits you’re taking, and the campus location where you physically attend the majority of your classes.
    • Money for books and supplies – You can receive up to $1000 per school year to help cover the cost for your books and other supplies needed for your courses.
    • Money to help you move from a rural area to go to school – You may qualify for a one-time payment if you live in a county with 6 or fewer people per square mile and you’re either moving at least 500 miles to go to school or have no other option but to fly by plane to get to your school.

    Our school certifying official is Allison Brown:

    More Information

  • If you are the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school through the DEA program. Through this program, you will receive a monthly payment to help you cover the cost of tuition, fees, and housing, with the rate based on the type of education or training you’re getting and how many courses you’re taking.

    Our school certifying officials are James Martak and Allison Brown:

    Learn More

  • FTA is financial assistance provided for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldiers professional self-development goals. FTA will pay for tuition costs up to $250 per credit (referred to as Units at the University of Utah), up to 16 credits and up to $4000 per fiscal year. It may be used to earn one Associates, one Bachelor’s, and one Master’s degree.

    Utah STA offers two programs:

    • 100% tuition waiver at public schools plus up to $1000 for fees toward a Bachelor’s degree
    • Up to $7000 at $250 per credit including fees.

    Soldiers may use FTA for tuition and STA for fees if in a verified STEM-C program

    Education Services Officer – Annie Thomas

    University Contact – Barb Walker

    • (801) 585-3023